Love fountain pens? You'll like this blog devoted in full to collecting, repairing and enjoying these fabulous writing instruments. Waterman, Pelikan, Parker, Mont Blanc, Cross enthusiasts share their experience and knowledge about vintage and modern fountain pens.
Tuesday, October 02, 2007
Fountain Pen Terms you may not know
Pen Terms:

Ink supply:
Reservoir: area within the pen which holds the ink.
Built-in-piston: installed device to draw the ink into the
Converter: removable piston attached to the feed.
Cartridges: disposable, pre-filled ink containers
which attach to the feed.

Fountain Pen Body:

Nib: actual writing tip of the fountain pen; usually has two equal sides
[tines] separated by a slit.
-sizes: fine, medium, broad/wide
-tip is usually rounded and made of gold flexible,
softer]or of iridium [more durable, harder].
-nib may have an angle [oblique nib and reverse oblique];
good for left-handed people if you “push”, use the oblique
nib and if you “pull” your pen, use the reverse oblique.

Feed Unit: located underneath the nib.
-regulates the flow of ink from the reservoir.
-usually made of hard rubber [vulcanized] and usually has
multiple grooves to increase the surface area and
decreasing the chance that ink would flood the pen.

Barrel: the largest part of the body and it will hold the reservoir
and does connect to the nib.